Savvy is bound to operate under the National Fitness Industry Code of Conduct. The full document can be read here:
Definition of personal information
The expression ‘personal information’ is defined in the Privacy Acts as information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion.
Collection and use of personal information
The kinds of personal information that we collect and hold about you depends on the transactions you undertake with us.
The kinds of information that we collect and hold may include:
- contact details (i.e. contact address(es), contact number(s), email address)
- date of birth
- health & fitness information as related to your participation in fitness activities
- credit card and or bank account details
Typical situations when Fitness Australia will collect personal information from you, is if you:
- when you try opur services on an introductory offer
- when you become a member of Savvy
- when you register for a savvy hosted event such as the Bulli Burn and savvy Survivor
- when you purchase our products and/or services
- when you sign in to our app
How Savvy collects personal information
As far as possible, Savvy will collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. If Savvy collects information about you from someone else, Savvy will, whenever reasonably possible, make you aware that Savvy has done this and circumstances of that collection.
In particular, Savvy will collect personal information about you in the following circumstances:
Collection from third parties:
Savvy will collect personal information from external service provider to whom Savvy has contracted out for specific purposes. Savvy will also collect personal information from third parties who offer products and services to Savvy members or registrants.
Savvy will also collect personal information for handling complaints and disciplinary proceedings about members and registrants.
If you obtain services from third parties in conjunction with membership or registration with Savvy, the third parties may provide personal information such as the general nature of the work and costs, as far as it is permitted by law.
Collection from use of website or mobile app
If you use our website or mobile app, we may utilise ‘cookies’ and any other technologies, which enable us to monitor traffic patterns and to serve you more efficiently if you revisit our website / mobile app. A cookie or similar technology does not identify you personally but may identify your internet service provider, computer or mobile device. You can set your browser or mobile device to notify you when you receive a cookie or web beacon and this will provide you with an opportunity to either accept or reject it in each instance.
Generally, the purpose of collection and holding personal information, and the minimum information you need to provide, will be conveyed to you at the time of collection.
If we collect sensitive information about you, we will only do so with your consent, unless consent is not required by law.
You do not need to identify yourself when you deal with us (e.g. enquiring about membership or registration) but there are certain situations where we will only deal with individuals who identify themselves (e.g. providing fitness services). However, if you choose not to provide the personal information requested, we may not be able to provide you with the products/services you require.
Unsolicited personal information
- that the unsolicited personal information has been collected;
- the circumstances of that collection; and
If we could not have collected the personal information had we solicited it, we will destroy the information or ensure it is de-identified as soon as practicable.
Purpose of collection, storage, use and disclosure of personal information
The purposes of collecting, storing, using and disclosing your personal information may be to:
- verify your identity
- provide the products and services you have requested
- administer and manage service offerings, including charging, billing and collecting debts
- research and development of Savvy’s products and services
- maintain membership records
- gain an understanding of your information and communication needs to provide you with a better service
- provide access to information about current and future services and benefits
- conduct research surveys and consultation to identify and analyse the ongoing needs of members
- handle complaints about members or registrants
- tell you about products and services that may be of interest to you
We may use or disclose your personal information for the purpose of direct marketing. That is, to promote our products or services or those of third parties.
You expressly consent to the use or disclosure of your personal information for direct marketing purposes. You also expressly consent for Fitness Australia to disclose your personal information to our business partners or other third party providers to facilitate their sending direct marketing communications to you.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
In addition for the direct marketing purposes referred to above, we may disclose your personal information to third parties, which may include:
- external service providers to whom we have contracted out functions, such as printers, mailing houses, advertising agencies, but only for the purpose of providing the service we have contracted out
- our business partners that provide products and/or services to our members and/or registrants
- government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law
- our professional advisors
- our related companies
- other professional bodies
In these situations, Savvy prohibits the third party contractors from using personal information about you except for the specific purpose for which Savvy supply it. We will not disclose your personal information to business partners as described in this section above, if you advise us that you do not wish us to. Please refer to our contact details set out below.
Other than the above, Savvy will not disclose your personal information without your consent unless disclosure is either necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to the life, health or safety, authorised or required by law, reasonably necessary to enforce the law or necessary to investigate a suspected unlawful activity or serious misconduct.
How Savvy holds personal information
Please also refer to our policy on data quality and security below.
We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that personal information about you collected by us is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you provide.
We require that you:
- let us know if there are any errors in your personal information; and
- keep us up-to-date with changes to your information.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is protected from misuse, loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
If we no longer need your personal information for any purpose for which the information may be used or disclosed or required by law, we will take reasonable steps to destroy the information or ensure that the information is de-identified.
Access and correction of personal information
You can request access to, or ask us to correct, personal information about you that we hold by making a request in writing to Savvy. We will respond to your request within a reasonable period after the request is made.
Members and registrants can access and update their contact details and profiles by logging in to our website.
Resolving your concerns
If you wish to gain access or seek correction to your personal information, have complaints about a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles (APP) or a registered APP code (if any) that binds Savvy, or you have any questions or concerns on how your personal information is handled, please address the issues to:
Unit 4 135-143 Princes Hwy, Fairy Meadow NSW 2519
- 02 42264480
Savvy will respond to your request, complaint or inquiry within a reasonable period.
For more information about privacy issues in Australia and protecting your privacy, visit the Office of Australian Information Commissioner’s website on www.privacy.gov.au